What is the UK School’s Chess Challenge?
A multiple-round competition, taking place every school academic year from Spring Term through to September.
The event is sponsored by Delancey, and has taken place every year since 1996.
UK School’s Chess Challenge Rounds
- School chess clubs play games during the Spring term to determine the strongest players; or
- If your school does not have a chess club, then there are also Megafinal qualifyier tournaments held around the country.
- There are 40+ one-day Megafinal events across the UK
- Megafinals are taking place 1st March – 9th June 2018.
- There are 3 one-day Gigafinal events, with different age sections on different days:
Southern Gigafinal // 30th June – 1st July 2018 // venue tbc
Midlands Gigafinal // 7th – 8th July 2018 // venue tbc
Northern Gigafinal // 14th – 15th July 2018 // Wright Robinson College
- Terafinal / Challengers / Silver Plate
- The Terafinal is a two-day event: 15th – 16th September 2018 // venue tbc
- There appears to be a change to the format for 2018, with five age sections instead of the usual mixed age groups. It is to be confirmed whether the Challengers and Silver Plate events will take place.
How do I take part?
There are two options: Qualify through your school chess club website, or at the Megafinal-qualifier tournament.
School Chess Clubs and Junior Chess Clubs can now enter the 2018 competition.
Megafinal Dates 2018
At the time of writing, the local Megafinals are below (please do check the organisers website for all the latest information):
- 5th May 2018: Bristol – Bristol Grammar School
- 12th May 2018: Gloucestershire – The King’s School, Gloucester
- 13th May 2018: Somerset – Millfield School, Street
How much is the Entry Fee?
The school chess club pays the entry fee for all children, the current fees are on the UK School’s Chess Challenge website.