What is the UK School’s Chess Challenge?
A multiple-round competition, taking place every school academic year from Spring Term through to September.
The event is sponsored by Delancey, and has taken place every year since 1996.
UK School’s Chess Challenge Rounds
- School chess clubs play games during the Spring term to determine the strongest players; or
- If your school does not have a chess club, then there are also Megafinal qualifyier tournaments held around the country.
- There are 40+ one-day Megafinal events across the UK. Full list for 2019
- Megafinals take place March – June each year.
- There are 4 Gigafinal events in 2019, with different age sections on different days. Latest dates.
- Terafinal / Challengers / Silver Plate
- The format has changed in recent years. Latest dates.
How do I take part?
There are two options: Qualify through your school chess club website, or at the Megafinal-qualifier tournament.
How much is the Entry Fee?
The school chess club pays the initial entry fee for all children to take part in their school chess club, the current fees are on the UK School’s Chess Challenge website.
Individual players then pay their own fee to enter Megafinals and any other rounds.